Upbeat, upbeat, and, oh yeah, upbeat! The Hannah Montana Movie Soundtrack is at no loss for cheerful, uplifting, music. Basically, the "Hannah Montana" songs describe the awesomeness of being a pop star, while the "Miley Cyrus" tunes are more reflective, personal, and sentimental.
Of all the songs on Hannah Montana: The Movie Soundtrack, you're most likely to have heard the epic ballad "The Climb," Miley's serious attempt to break into the Contemporary Country world. Throughout the soundtrack, Cyrus brings in musical aspects of Shania Twain ("Dream"), Kelly Clarkson ("Don't Walk Away"), Avril Lavigne ("The Good Life"), and Gwen Stefani ("Spotlight" and "Let's Get Crazy"), all flavored with Cyrus' slight twang and husky vocals. The only misstep is the weird country music/hip hop hybrid "Hoedown Throwdown," a tune that sounds like Disney's trying a liiitle bit too hard to cover all genres.
Since this is a soundtrack, not all of the songs are performed by Miley Cyrus. Dad Billy Ray Cyrus sings "Back to Tennessee," a country rocker from his album Back to Tennessee, and pop country boy band Rascal Flatts perform acoustic versions of their songs "Backwards" and "Bless the Broken Road," originally from their albums Me and My Gang and Feels Like Today, respectively. Both just happen to record for the Disney-owned Lyric Street Records label.
Up-and-coming teen pop co-star and Disney labelmate Steve Rushton performs "Everything I Want" and "Game Over," while established singer Taylor Swift chimes in with her waltzing ballad "Crazier." Miley and dad Billy Ray share vocals on the sentimental ballad "Butterfly Fly Away," a tune that also appears on Billy Ray Cyrus' Back to Tennessee album.
Hannah Montana devotees and Miley Cyrus fans will loooove this CD, and parents will be able to painlessly listen along, as the tunes aren't as bubblegummy as a lot of Disney music. Cyrus is clearly trying to get her foot in the country music door by inviting performers like Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift to share soundtrack time with her, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Hannah Montana: The Movie Soundtrack is a nice, clean-cut pop/country album for the whole family.
Released March 24, 2009; Walt Disney Records
- "You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home" - Hannah Montana
- "Let's Get Crazy" - Hannah Montana
- "The Good Life" - Hannah Montana
- "Everything I Want" - Steve Rushton
- "Don't Walk Away" - Miley Cyrus
- "Hoedown Throwdown" - Miley Cyrus
- "Dream" - Miley Cyrus
- "The Climb" - Miley Cyrus
- "Butterfly Fly Away" - Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus
- "Backwards (Acoustic)" - Rascal Flatts
- "Back to Tennessee" - Billy Ray Cyrus
- "Crazier" - Taylor Swift
- "Bless the Broken Road (Acoustic)" - Rascal Flatts
- "Let's Do This" - Hannah Montana
- "Spotlight" - Hannah Montana
- "Game Over" - Steve Rushton
- "What's Not To Like" - Hannah Montana
- "The Best Of Both Worlds: The 2009 Movie Mix" - Hannah Montana